Children are unpredictable. You never know what inconsistency they're going to catch you in next - Franklin P Jones

Monday, October 11, 2010

10 years on..my sliding door moment

Today I was thinking about sliding door moments; you know those times when you made a decision to go one way with your life and you could have done something very different. The time I was thinking of today happened 10 years ago next week. I arrived in Australia and received two job offers within a few days. One was with the parent company of the business I worked for in NZ, the other was a company I had never heard of but that was recommended to me by an old colleague who had become a Rec-to-Rec.

I hated the parent company option – the MD was a complete misogynist twat who lounged around in a big office with harbour views whilst twenty-something women crammed into a rabbit warren downstairs and worked 12 hours days to pay for his lifestyle. Also they wanted me to do perm recruitment and this was not my area of expertise. So I took that other offer. And have never regretted it.

I got to work with people that I just fell in love with, and now ten years on, two kids later I am still working with three of them. I don’t think that this would have ever happened to me if I had taken the other job offer.

I guess sometimes we just get lucky and make the right decisions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home